Monday, January 5, 2009

Laughter Is the Best Medicine

My immune system tanked this fall, and I ended up catching more bugs than I normally due during high-bug-catching season. For about a month, I ended up having a couple of wretched stomach bugs and a sinus infection. Living alone has all kinds of perks, but it really stinks when you get sick. Really stinks. Thankfully, I have three best friends within about a three mile radius of me. Needless to say, Jessica, Margo, and Paige all called to check in on me and leave me meds and blue Gatorade on my doorstep.

During my sinus infection, I remember walking around my apartment in a haze, not feeling like doing anything. Finally, the meds kicked in and I decided I needed something to eat. I was craving a milk shake from Chic-fil-A which is kind of odd, considering I'd only ever had one or two milkshakes from there in my life. But, I was hungry and I think mostly desperate to get
out of my apartment. 48 hours of lying in the quiet can do that to a girl. So I got in my car and zipped through the Chic-fil-A drive through.

I'm always amazed at how friendly the CFA folks usually are. I don't know if it's the good business practices passed down by their founder, Truett Cathy, or if it's because they get to go around sipping sweet lemonade all day, but I have noticed that they are usually always really nice to their customers. And that night was no different. I ordered my chocolate milkshake and the employee asked if I wanted whipped cream and a cherry. I declined and drove around to the window. I paid, and the guy at the window started to pass me my milkshake. Before he handed it to me, though, he asked, "No whipped cream and cherry?"

With a totally straight face, I looked at him, shook my head, and said, "No, I'm cutting back."

He glanced down at my large milkshake and then back up at me. I couldn't help it anymore, so I busted out laughing. "I'm just teasing," I said. "I really don't want them because I don't like them." He handed me my shake, laughing and shaking his head, saying, "Cutting back, eh?" I laughed most of the way home. I felt a little guilty for joking around with this nice stranger, but mostly, I was glad I was back to my normal self.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl - I'm loving the blog! Can't wait for the next update. :-D

Post a Comment